Greetings from the National Office of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India (ARDSI). Our yearlong effort to develop the ’Dementia India’ report, a powerful document for improving the dementia care in India, is in the final stages and is all set to be officially launched at the proposed National Dementia Summit which will be held on the 20thand 21st,September,2010 at the India Islamic cultural Centre, New Delhi. This will also witness the release of the World Alzheimer’s Report, 2010 by
the Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI). We have invited the Prime minister and Health Minister to the participate in this important event. The Summit will be a platform for active discussion and interaction of experts in the field of dementia care, services, and research to improve the present scenario in dementia care in India. Nearly 300 delegates from across the country and abroad are expected to participate in this event. National and International luminaries would be presenting from their fund of experience and knowledge. I would earnestly appeal to you to mobilize support from your local area, impress upon your Hon’ble MP to raise the issue ofdementia in the parliament. There are a number of questions they could raise.
1. What’s the extent of the problem of dementia in India
2. What measures have the govt. undertaken to help people with dementia and their families.
3. Are there any governmental schemes currently available to help people with Dementia.
4. Is the government aware of a proposed “National Dementia Summit” to take place in Delhi and a “Dementia India” report being launched. If so, is the government involved in it.
5. Considering the fact, India with world’s second largest elderly population, would the government consider taking steps to study the magnitude of the problem of dementia and steps to address this growing public health challenge?
And finally, urge them to participate in the National Dementia Summit.
Dr.K. Jacob Roy
National Chairman, ARDSI
For more information contact:
ARDSI National Office
Kunnamkulam - 680 503,
Thrissur Dist, Kerala State.
Tel. 098461 98473.